Thursday, January 10, 2008

Self-Striping Argyle Scarf


argyle scarf, originally uploaded by telcontar328.

Believe it or not, this is a simple one-yarn Mistake Rib scarf. I cast on 39 stitches with Red Heart Super Saver yarn, in the Gemstone colorway, then worked each row as follows: "*k2, p2, repeat from * across, end k2, p1" until I ran out of yarn (about 7 ounces' worth). The tension is very important--if you knit loosely, you may need to cast on fewer stitches to get the "argyle" effect. That wonky purple stripe near the top left-hand fold marks where I slacked off my tension for a while.

I'm sure you could get the argyle effect with other self-striping yarns where the color repeats are of uniform length. I just don't have a formula for that yet!

By the way, whether you like Red Heart Super Saver or not, the durability of this yarn is amazing. Some parts of this scarf had been frogged and re-knit six times before this final iteration. (For you non-knitters, "frogging" is knitter's slang for ripping out a project--because we "rip it, rip it, rip it". groan...)

No comments: